I wanted to write this article for those like me. Perhaps you are traveling from the America or Canada the UK etc. And have decided you will need a cell phone for the duration of time you are in Jamaica. First of all I would like to commend you on such a smart decision, because where I was staying there were no payphones to speak of. Lets get to it.
How I set up my cell phone to work in Jamaica
My Cell Phone I bought in Canada, My cell phone is from Public Mobile I bought my phone from public mobile It comes with a chip. I asked lots of questions before I bought it, I’m sure I asked if it would work in Jamaica because I was sure I would come here
- Different Cell Phone plans in Jamaica – Getting a new chip When I arrived in Jamaica I literally had to ask how the cell phones worked out here like over 7 times. People were trying to explain it to me but my brain wasn’t grasping it. In Canada, you buy the cell phone you choose a plan you pay your plan fee every month and that’s it. Doesn’t work like that in Jamaica.
- A Digi cell cell phone chip is the magic – You have take out your chip from abroad out of the back of your cell phone. go to a digicel store with a piece of id. Only drivers license passport and national id are accepted. In case you were wondering The reason they are so strict about who they give cell phone chips to is because of the lottery scamming that goes on in Jamaica. People use cell phones to do it I am told. Ok so when we went to the digicel store I didn’t have my id. My friend asked a friend on the street to do it and they allowed us to do it that. Way, so my cell phone is in a guys name but who cares I now have a cell phone chip to use my Canadian cell phone in Jamaica .
- How to get a Phone plan in Jamaica the easy way – I could not understand what people were telling me when they said I had to buy credit for my phone. They said I had to purchase a piece of paper with a code on it, then use that code to use the cell phone and have credit to make calls. I asked them if I could use the same credit to view the internet on my cell phone they told me yes. I was like really.
- After I got my Jamaican cell chip I purchased some credit– it was really complicated every time my time would run out I would have to run to the store to buy soem more credit. because I wasn’t used to how to put it on. I would loose all my credit in like 5 minutes using the internet to watch one video. Don’t worry there is a solution coming later. It took me some time but I figured out an easy way. Back in the day when I used to spend ours talking to Jamaican men on my cell phone I learned how to add credit to a Jamaican phone from abroad.
- Buy Digi cell Credit online its cheaper and faster – So I went online, to the digicell website and added credit to my phone in Jamaica from my visa debit card. They have all types of phone plans available. It was quick and easy to do it they even have a digicel app to put on your phone to make buying credit easy. Oh yeah you can use Paypal to purchase credit from digicel too. Neat huh. Before I was spending one hundred Jamaican dollars every time I wanted credit for my phone. If I use the internet it eats up more credit, and if you watch videos it eats up even more credit. I was getting fed. Up.
So that’s my story that is how I set up my cell phone to work in Jamaica. Good luck adding the credit that is a lot of fun. Get someone young like in their teens to teach you they know a lot of stuff about technology.