If you want to embrace the Culture of Jamaica, then you have to eat some Run Down at list once on a Saturday/Sunday Morning with some Fried dumpling. Seriously it hits the spot and may send you back to bed. Lol Don’t worry it won’t give you a runny stomach. The name comes from the rich gravy of the meal.
You will need…
- 3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) mackerel or other oily fish (salt fish *boneless* works good too)
- 3 cups (750) coconut milk
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 scotch bonnet or jalapeno chili, deseeded and minced
- 1 lb (500 g) ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tea spoon dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (no salt if you are using salt fish)
How to cook Jamaican “breakfast” Run Down
- Step 1 –Pour the lime juice over the fish fillets in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Step 2 – In a large, heavy skillet cook the coconut milk until it turns oily about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Step 3 – Add the onion, garlic and chili, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, thyme, and salt and pepper.
- Step 4 – Add the fish, cover and cook until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 10 minutes.
For More Jamaican Food Ideas, check out this page.
Serves 6 people