Rasta (Ital) Soup
- 1 Pound (454) g Yams or about 2 medium sized Yams cut into 2 inch 5 cm pieces
- ½ pound (227 g) sweet potatoes (1 medium, cut into 2 inch (5 cm) pieces
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 cups (720 ml) vegetable broth
- 1 pound (454) fresh pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and cut
- into 2 inch (5 cm pieces
- ½ pound (227 g) carrots (3 medium) peeled and sliced
- 1 Pound (454g) Fresh callaloo, or 1 can (19 ounces (538 g) callaloo, drained; or ½ pound of spinach and ½ pound (227g) Kale
1 Chayote squash
- 1 Green pepper
- 2 medium sized tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 spring onions or scallions
- 5 – 6 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 hot pepper, minced
- Freshly ground black pepper and salt
How to Prepare
Place the yams and sweet potatoes in a stockpot with the coconut milk and broth.
Add the pumpkin or squash and carrots.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
While the root vegetables simmer, carefully wash the callaloo, trimming away any thick stems. Chop and set asides
To peel the chayote squash, cut it lengthwise into quarters and remove the heart. Dice the remaining squash, green pepper, tomatoes, garlic, and spring onions, and add with the shredded cabbage and hot pepper to the stockpot.
Simmer for 20 minutes more until the vegetables are tender. Season with plenty of freshly ground black pepper and salt fi desired. Puree the vegetables for richer soup. Makes 6 servings.
Blessed. Read “Convert to Rastafari” Out soon pon Amazon.com