What is “Run Down?”
jamaican run down Jamaican Run Down is a very popular Jamaican Breakfast. It contains Salt fish, fried dumplings, and some tomato and onions for seasoning. Some say they do not want to eat “Run Down” Because it is a “Ghetto” food. In other words it’s a dish mainly eaten by poor Jamaicans. To me…this is a load of crock! Once you have some “Run Down” on a Saturday/Sunday Morning, you will eat it over and over again. The reason is…its tasty, easy to cook, and it hits the spot. I love me some “Run Down.”
You will need…
3 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
2 lbs. (1 kg) mackerel or other oily fish (salt fish *BONELESS* works good too)
3 cups (750) coconut milk
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 scotch bonnet or jalapeno chili, deseeded and minced
1 lb (500 g) ripe tomatoes, blanched, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1 tea spoon dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper (no salt if you are using salt fish)
How to Prepare
Pour the lime juice over the fish fillets in a shallow bowl and set aside.
IN a large, heavy skillet cook the coconut milk until it turns oily about 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the onion, garlic and chili, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes
Stir in the tomatoes, vinegar, thyme, and salt and pepper.
Add the fish, cover and cook until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork, about 10 minutes.
Serves 6 people
Jamaican Food Dishes How to & Recipes
- Jamaican Beef Patty Recipe to try at home
- How to Cook Jamaican Curry Goat Recipe
- How to Cook Jamaican Rice & Peas Recipe
- How to Cook Jamaican “Run Down Recipe
- How to Cook Rasta Ital Soup Recipe
- How to Cook Jamaican Curried Shrimp Recipe
- Hot Jamaican Style Cornmeal Porridge for breakfast
- Make Jamaican potato Salad
- Rasta Style Ital Soup that tastes great
- Jamaican Style Barbecue Ribs (tasty)